The Wish Realm, also known as the Alternate Universe, and locally known as the Enchanted Forest, is a reality featured on ABC's Once Upon a Time. It first appears in the tenth episode of the sixth season.
The Wish Realm was magically created when the Evil Queen used the genie Aladdin to grant Emma's wish of never having been the Savior. As a result, she is teleported to the Wish Realm, a recreation of the Enchanted Forest, where the Evil Queen was defeated before she could cast the Dark Curse. As a result, David and Snow are revered for saving the kingdom's people from the Queen, and they are the elderly rulers of the land. The original Emma is placed in the role of their meek daughter, given fake memories and having her real ones erased so she no longer remembers being strong or fighting back. Her son, Henry, is a prince who is approaching his knighting ceremony. This realm's Robin of Locksley is also still alive; Rumplestiltskin is imprisoned underneath the ruined Evil Queen's former palace; and Geppetto has died of old age, leaving his son, Pinocchio, alone. ("Wish You Were Here")
Regina Mills, the Evil Queen's counterpart from the Land Without Magic, visits this realm shortly after its creation to try and bring Emma back. Emma doubts her claims of a "real" world and she is soon discovered by the king and queen, who believe her to be the Evil Queen they banished. After a suggestion from Rumplestiltskin, Regina decides to disguise herself as just that and attacks as Snow and David knight Henry, hoping to awaken Emma's inherent heroism. Instead, Emma attempts to give Regina control of the kingdom, even as Regina crushes her supposed parents' hearts. His grandparents dead, Henry swears revenge on the Evil Queen and attempts to kill her, but Emma stops him and remembers who she really is. Their escape is postponed when Regina meets the Robin of the Wish Realm but they are still able to return to the Land Without Magic via an Enchanted Tree carved into a wardrobe by Pinocchio, bringing Robin along with them. ("Wish You Were Here", "Tougher Than the Rest")
Robin is returned to the Wish Realm by Regina's evil half, the Evil Queen created by Dr. Jekyll's Serum, after she kidnaps him to use as bait in an attempt to kill Regina. After Regina puts some of her love in the Evil Queen's heart, turning her good, Henry of the Land Without Magic uses his Author's Pen to send her somewhere she can be happy: the Wish Realm. However, this falls through when Sir Henry discovers her and still blames her for his grandparents' death. As such, they retreat to the "real" Enchanted Forest. ("Page 23", "The Final Battle Part 1")
Ways to Access the Wish Realm
The Wish Realm can be reached:
- The statue of King David and Queen Snow in the Wish Realm is featured in the title card for "Wish You Were Here".
- According to Edward Kitsis, the Wish Realm only consists of "an alternate Enchanted Forest".
- According to Adam Horowitz, the Wish Realm is a "realm that was created by the wish, so it's an actual place that exists now. The wish has created it, so it's not an alternate realm in the sense that it's just imaginary and not real; this place actually now exists and is real".
- The river that Emma and Regina stop by is the same altered location where Prince Charming and Snow White first decided to "take back the kingdom". This can easily be seen from direction of the trees. But it is not known if these two places are meant to be same since the latter does not have the Royal Castle behind and there seems to be no mountain. ("Wish You Were Here")
- The tavern where Regina and her serum counterpart both find Robin of Locksley is the Wish Realm version of the Enchanted Forest tavern where Queen Regina and Tinker Bell found the real Robin Hood in "Quite a Common Fairy". The two buildings share the same facade. ("Tougher Than the Rest", "Page 23")
|Once Upon a Time: Season Six|
|"The Savior":||"A Bitter Draught":||"The Other Shoe":||"Strange Case":||"Street Rats":||"Dark Waters":||"Heartless":||"I'll Be Your Mirror":||"Changelings":||"Wish You Were Here":||"Tougher Than the Rest":|
|"Murder Most Foul":||"Ill-Boding Patterns":||"Page 23":||"A Wondrous Place":||"Mother's Little Helper":||"Awake":||"Where Bluebirds Fly":||"The Black Fairy":||"The Song in Your Heart":||"The Final Battle Part 1":||"The Final Battle Part 2":|
|Once Upon a Time: Season Seven|
|"Hyperion Heights":||"A Pirate's Life":||"The Garden of Forking Paths":||"Beauty":||"Greenbacks":||"Wake Up Call":||"Eloise Gardener":||"Pretty in Blue":||"One Little Tear":||"The Eighth Witch":||"Secret Garden":|
|"A Taste of the Heights":||"Knightfall":||"The Girl in the Tower":||"Sisterhood":||"Breadcrumbs":||"Chosen":||"The Guardian":||"Flower Child":||"Is This Henry Mills?":||"Homecoming":||"Leaving Storybrooke":|
|Once Upon a Time: Specials|
|"Magic is Coming":||"The Price of Magic":||"Journey to Neverland":||"Wicked is Coming":||"Storybrooke Has Frozen Over":|
|"Secrets of Storybrooke":||"Dark Swan Rises":||"Evil Reigns Once More":||"The Final Battle Begins":|
Note: "Archive" denotes archive footage.