"Where Bluebirds Fly" is the eighteenth episode of Season Six of ABC's Once Upon a Time. It was written by David H. Goodman & Brigitte Hales, and directed by Michael Schultz. It is the one hundred and twenty-ninth episode of the series overall, and premiered on April 23, 2017.
In flashback, Zelena befriends a young woodcutter who has been cursed and turns to her for help finding a new heart. Zelena is forced to choose between keeping her powers and her friendship with him. Meanwhile, in Storybrooke, Zelena decides to take on the Black Fairy and put a stop to her, once and for all, against Regina’s wishes, and the Charmings disagree over Emma and Hook’s wedding plans.
"Wedding Lasagna" (Scene 7)
This scene is included on Once Upon a Time: The Complete Sixth Season.
An extended version of the scene where Emma and her family check out Granny's Diner as a potential location for Emma and Hook's wedding. The extended version features additional dialogue with Granny, which was cut from the episode.
- The title card features the Emerald City.
- The title of this episode was revealed by Adam Horowitz via his Twitter account on February 3, 2017.
- The title of this episode is an allusion to "Somewhere over the rainbow bluebirds fly", a lyric from Judy Garland's song "Over the Rainbow" in The Wizard of Oz.
- The press release misspells Isabella Blake-Thomas's name as Isabella Black-Thomas.
- When Emma is making pancakes, Hook comes over and says, "Something smells delicious." In the episode script, he simply says, "Mmm... delicious."
- In the episode script, Regina says, "Emma? "What are you thinking?", and Emma answers, "Maybe we can." This exchange is not in the final episode.
- When Belle and Mr. Gold are talking about their son, Belle says, "You know, this means he can be saved." In the episode script, Mr. Gold answers, "Yes. But that's not all it means." This line is not in the final episode.
- For unknown reasons, the beginning scene with Emma, Hook and Mary Margaret at the Swan House was shot or reshot on the final day of filming for Season Six.
- Furthermore, Emma's wrist tattoo appears and disappears continuously throughout this scene.
- The Oz flashbacks occur in various places of the overall timeline.
- The Storybrooke events take place after "Awake" and before "The Black Fairy". (For more details, see the Land Without Magic timeline)
- Emma makes pancakes for Hook, which David suggested as something she could do in "Strange Case".
- Hook and Emma got engaged in "Awake".
- David mentions Mary Margaret's first date with Dr. Whale, an event that took place in "Snow Falls".
- David talks about how the Evil Queen crashed his and Snow White's wedding, which was shown in "Pilot", "The Thing You Love Most" and "The New Neverland".
- Mr. Gold took Mother Superior's magic to save Gideon's soul in "Ill-Boding Patterns".
- Zelena mentions how she killed Hades to save Regina in "Last Rites".
- Zelena talks about how she banished Walsh by turning him into a Flying Monkey, referring to events in "It's Not Easy Being Green".
- Zelena briefly mentions Dorothy return to Oz. which took place in "Our Decay".
- Zelena gets her magic back in "Secret Garden".
- When Zelena attacks the Black Fairy, she says, "Wicked always wins", just like she said in the final scene of "New York City Serenade".
Fairytales and Folklore
- This episode is rendition of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz story with the Wicked Witch of the West, Tin Man and the Cowardly Lion.
- This episode also features Captain Hook from the Peter Pan story.
- The Wicked Witch of the North from The Wonderful Wizard of Oz's sequel, The Marvelous Land of Oz, is mentioned as being the one who cursed the Tin Man.
- Emma is wearing a Zara Coat with Embroidered Yoke (no longer available).
- Belle is wearing a Lace Trim Floral Print Silk Shirt by The Kooples (no longer available).
- Regina is wearing a Ted Baker Aurore Long wrap coat (no longer available).
|French||"Plus Jamais Seule"||"Never Alone Anymore"|
|German||"Zelenas Geschichte"||"Zelena's Story"|
|Italian||"La magia di Zelena"||"Zelena's Magic"|
|Portuguese||"Onde os Pássaros Azuis Voam"||"Where the Bluebirds Fly"|