FANDOM


  • What do you think they will do if Jennifer decides to leave the show after season 6?

    How will the character be written out?

    What will the rest of the characters react to the way Emma leaves?

      Preparing Editor Spell
    • I personally got the opposite vibe from her interview about it, and so I don't think she'd leave if they want her for a season 7. But if she did.....

      Then the season 6 finale will be Emma getting the "happy ending" conclusion that the writers have had in mind for her all these years and everyone's stories will be wrapped up. If Emma is written out, then Snow, Charming, and Hook would also have to be written out. I don't see them being on the show and doing things without her. The fam will be living their lives offscreen and the story will have to move somewhere else. (I also think Henry would have to be written out too then, since him wanting a relationship with Emma was what started this show. Which might mean Regina would also be written out since she'd probably still be in Henry's life.)

      And then the only people I'd see left are Rumple, Belle, and Zelena. And I'm getting the impression that Robert isn't interested in this universe anymore. So long thoughts short - if Jen/Emma are done, I think the show is done. And S7 would have to be a backdoor pilot situation for an entirely new show. 

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Fans would most likely stop watching OUAT causing the ratings to drop even worst to the point of cancellation.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Dark Fantasy1990 wrote: Fans would most likely stop watching OUAT causing the ratings to drop even worst to the point of cancellation.

      Ratings will drop no matter, it's just the way of it. OUAT most likely won't get season 8, but what will happen in terms of "story"?

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • I also got the impression that Robert wants to leave while Jen does not, but if she leaves then she will most certainly die, that's the only way they can REALLY explain her absence, and it would be a good plot twist. It's up in the air for her, but I really don't see Rumple, Belle and Zelena staying, they are the most satured characters.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Chameleon-Guy wrote: I also got the impression that Robert wants to leave while Jen does not, but if she leaves then she will most certainly die, that's the only way they can REALLY explain her absence, and it would be a good plot twist. It's up in the air for her, but I really don't see Rumple, Belle and Zelena staying, they are the most satured characters.

      It depends on the contracts. I believe that Jennifer, Robert, Ginny, Josh and Lana has the same contract since they are the original cast from season 1, meaning that all of their contracts end after season 6.

      Jared probably has a different contract than the rest since he is a minor.

      Emilie, Colin and Rebecca are not part of the original cast so they might have different contracts that might extend longer than season 6.

      Those are just my guesses of course.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Farerb wrote:

      Chameleon-Guy wrote: I also got the impression that Robert wants to leave while Jen does not, but if she leaves then she will most certainly die, that's the only way they can REALLY explain her absence, and it would be a good plot twist. It's up in the air for her, but I really don't see Rumple, Belle and Zelena staying, they are the most satured characters.

      It depends on the contracts. I believe that Jennifer, Robert, Ginny, Josh and Lana has the same contract since they are the original cast from season 1, meaning that all of their contracts end after season 6.

      Jared probably has a different contract than the rest since he is a minor.

      Emilie, Colin and Rebecca are not part of the original cast so they might have different contracts that might extend longer than season 6.

      Those are just my guesses of course.

      I thought Rebecca had a seasonal contract. Anyway that won't stop them from being written out like Robin.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • In terms of contracts I see it as:

      Robert/Lana/Ginny/Josh/Jennifer - 6 Season Contract, part of the original cast.

      Emilie - 5 Season Contract to Season 6 (She had the same contract for LOST)

      Colin - Seasonal contract, later extended for when he feels he needs to leave.

      Rebecca - Seasonal contract, extended similarly to Colin's.

      Jared - Contract is basically in the hands of his parents due to his age therefore if necessary he gets written out whenever they see fit.

      As for leavers, I definitely see Emilie & Robert departing if there is a Season 7 as both seem to be fading and neither generally stay on a show for 6+ years. 

      Jennifer, from her interviews it seems she was just stating that based on contracts she hasn't had any confirmation upon a Season 7 contract so obviously she has to set her mind to other projects for now but if necessary she'll renew it.

      Me personally, I think the motive is to end it with Season 6. The creators aren't stupid, they know their boundaries and with the risk of losing Robert, Emilie AND Jennifer during one season would make an unnecessary final Season for the 7th Season so it's best to just end it now. This would explain as to why they're bringing back so many characters

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • The only person who would leave because of Emma is Hook, as he became regular due to Emma and CS. So if Emma leaves, so does Hook. As a matter of course, the CaptainSwan love story would end (this would be probably the only good thing). But here's the thing: The show can live without Hook (like S1), but it can't live without Emma, Regina or Gold. The general plots are always circled around them: Emma finding herself in the world, Regina getting her happy ending and Gold finding his son (although the latter has been concluded.). So, if Emma leaves, the show probably would try to continue but ultimately end. Both because of the main character leaving and because of the ratings dropping. (Most people watch it because of CS).

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • If Emma leaves, the show ends, simple as. It would be like having Sherlock without Sherlock Holmes or Doctor Who without the Doctor

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Aine1989 wrote:
      If Emma leaves, the show ends, simple as. It would be like having Sherlock without Sherlock Holmes or Doctor Who without the Doctor

      That's actually a tossup because apparently the protagonist of The Vampire Diaries was put to sleep and has been gone for over a year along with Derek Shepherd from Grey's Anatomy and Abbie Mills from Sleepy Hollow, and those shows are still going. However, I can definitely see OUAT be cancelled without Emma as Castle did because they tried going on without their lead woman (Detective Kate Beckett) and the whole show got axed. One of those "Pull the plug on the fans and they will do same right back."

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Why people think that Robert don't want to continue in the show? 

      He said something about it? You have a link to it, please?

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • JMsapphireZ wrote: Why people think that Robert don't want to continue in the show? 

      He said something about it? You have a link to it, please?

      https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/jan/08/t2-trainspotting-robert-carlyle-begbie-interview?CMP=twt_gu

      "On a show of such longevity, he says the directors are essentially there “to keep the ship steady”. He sounds more polite than enthused."

      “I’m at the stage where even though Britain is in a mess politically, I think it’s time to pack up and come home.”

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • It didn't sound like Jen wanted to leave, so I think this is a non issue. I also think it would be tricky for her to leave as she is the original central protagonist.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Dan Fox wrote:
      Aine1989 wrote:
      If Emma leaves, the show ends, simple as. It would be like having Sherlock without Sherlock Holmes or Doctor Who without the Doctor
      That's actually a tossup because apparently the protagonist of The Vampire Diaries was put to sleep and has been gone for over a year along with Derek Shepherd from Grey's Anatomy and Abbie Mills from Sleepy Hollow, and those shows are still going. However, I can definitely see OUAT be cancelled without Emma as Castle did because they tried going on without their lead woman (Detective Kate Beckett) and the whole show got axed. One of those "Pull the plug on the fans and they will do same right back."

      Main character for Grey's Anatomy is Merideth Grey (thus her last name being in the title), so it was fine to write Derek off. If they tried to write Merideth off, the show would be over, but the actress already said she'll stay as long as Shonda wants to do the show.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Dan Fox wrote:
      Aine1989 wrote:
      If Emma leaves, the show ends, simple as. It would be like having Sherlock without Sherlock Holmes or Doctor Who without the Doctor
      That's actually a tossup because apparently the protagonist of The Vampire Diaries was put to sleep and has been gone for over a year along with Derek Shepherd from Grey's Anatomy and Abbie Mills from Sleepy Hollow, and those shows are still going. However, I can definitely see OUAT be cancelled without Emma as Castle did because they tried going on without their lead woman (Detective Kate Beckett) and the whole show got axed. One of those "Pull the plug on the fans and they will do same right back."

      Thing is, Once is a different kind of show to those. I don't know about Castle but TVD is (from what I saw of it) one of those gritty dark death everywhere shows. Once is a fairytale and Emma is the princess, therefore the show will end with her Happily Ever After

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Aine1989 wrote:
      Dan Fox wrote:
      Aine1989 wrote:
      If Emma leaves, the show ends, simple as. It would be like having Sherlock without Sherlock Holmes or Doctor Who without the Doctor
      That's actually a tossup because apparently the protagonist of The Vampire Diaries was put to sleep and has been gone for over a year along with Derek Shepherd from Grey's Anatomy and Abbie Mills from Sleepy Hollow, and those shows are still going. However, I can definitely see OUAT be cancelled without Emma as Castle did because they tried going on without their lead woman (Detective Kate Beckett) and the whole show got axed. One of those "Pull the plug on the fans and they will do same right back."
      Thing is, Once is a different kind of show to those. I don't know about Castle but TVD is (from what I saw of it) one of those gritty dark death everywhere shows. Once is a fairytale and Emma is the princess, therefore the show will end with her Happily Ever After

      Once is a drama about classic stories (many of those stories being fairytales), it is not a fairytale in its own right. I do agree that Emma will get a happy ending as the main protagaonist, but the show could still go on with other characters after that happened.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Dan Fox wrote:

      That's actually a tossup because apparently the protagonist of The Vampire Diaries was put to sleep and has been gone for over a year 

      The Vampire Diaries is ending this season, and rating have been pretty low since Nina Dobrev left. Also, she chose to leave, her contract did not expire. 

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • ChocolatEyes613 wrote:
      Dan Fox wrote:

      That's actually a tossup because apparently the protagonist of The Vampire Diaries was put to sleep and has been gone for over a year 

      The Vampire Diaries is ending this season, and rating have been pretty low since Nina Dobrev left. Also, she chose to leave, her contract did not expire. 

      She might reappear in the series finale.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Addition: If Jen chose to leave (which I find unlikely given her love for Emma) I think the show itself will end but a spinoff could take place in the future. I'd love a Neverland or Oz spinoff series

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • If Jen had wanted to stay, she would have said: "If abc renews the show, then I'm definitely in". She didn't. She said that she wanted to see if abc renewed the show, then to see what sort of direction A&E would want to take the show and then to decide whether she stays or not.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Back to the topical question.

      Of the characters on the show, I think that it would be difficult at this point to see the show without Emma or Regina.  Not impossible, just difficult. Every other character can be replaced. 

      Personally, from what I read, it does not appear that Jen would leave the show of her own accord. BUT, just for arguments sake, let's suppose that she did. The only reasonable way to write her character out of the show would be to have her killed.  The show started centered around Emma, and she has been much of the driving force for each season:

      Season 1 she is led to SB and breaks the curse

      Season 2 she journeys to the EF, leads Rumple to find Bae, and works with Regina to save SB

      Season 3 she is the leader of the trip to save Henry, and is the one of the main focal points during the Oz arc, including the season finale.

      Season 4 - Emma was the "chosen" sister for Ingrid, and was the target of Rumple in the Queens of Darkness

      Season 5 - Dark Swan and leading the trip to the UW.

      Season 6 - Saviorology and the conflict with Gideon.

      So, to take this character that has been central to the entire show and just "Move her to the back burner" would seem like a weak move, and hard to explain. Emma as a character would not just go back to being a Sheriff and watching the action from the sidelines. And moving Emma to the back leaves very little reason to keep ANY of the other characters.

      Killing her, on the other hand, leaves the door open to retain the show's other core, and spin at least a mini arc around resolving and avenging her death, which would also allow possible new central characters to emerge and develop. It keeps Emma's character central for at least the short period of transition.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Farerb wrote:
      If Jen had wanted to stay, she would have said: "If abc renews the show, then I'm definitely in". She didn't. She said that she wanted to see if abc renewed the show, then to see what sort of direction A&E would want to take the show and then to decide whether she stays or not.

      I would think for contract negotiation reasons, actors probably don't want to seem too eager. And since Jen doesn't know where the story could be heading for season 7, she probably didn't want to assume things. Like she joked in the interview, she gave her best "politically correct" answer - like "I'd be interested....but I don't know what's happening exactly, so..."

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • JennaMae wrote:

      Farerb wrote:
      If Jen had wanted to stay, she would have said: "If abc renews the show, then I'm definitely in". She didn't. She said that she wanted to see if abc renewed the show, then to see what sort of direction A&E would want to take the show and then to decide whether she stays or not.

      I would think for contract negotiation reasons, actors probably don't want to seem too eager. And since Jen doesn't know where the story could be heading for season 7, she probably didn't want to assume things. Like she joked in the interview, she gave her best "politically correct" answer - like "I'd be interested....but I don't know what's happening exactly, so..."

      I agree. I'm not saying that Jen 100% wants out, but it's not 100% wants to continue. The politicly correct answer can go both ways.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Farerb wrote:

      JennaMae wrote:

      Farerb wrote:
      If Jen had wanted to stay, she would have said: "If abc renews the show, then I'm definitely in". She didn't. She said that she wanted to see if abc renewed the show, then to see what sort of direction A&E would want to take the show and then to decide whether she stays or not.
      I would think for contract negotiation reasons, actors probably don't want to seem too eager. And since Jen doesn't know where the story could be heading for season 7, she probably didn't want to assume things. Like she joked in the interview, she gave her best "politically correct" answer - like "I'd be interested....but I don't know what's happening exactly, so..."

      I agree. I'm not saying that Jen 100% wants out, but it's not 100% wants to continue. The politicly correct answer can go both ways.

      It's up in the air.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Mmh… I think the show would get quite a blow if JMo left, but I don't think it would outright tank. Some fans would flip desks and quit altogether, some would be pleased, some would just shrug, but I can't see the casual viewers' reaction as so polarised (and let's face it, die-hard fans make the bulk of the internet buzz, but casual viewers make the bulk of ratings).

      Emma served primarily as an audience surrogate throughout S1 and 2 (the outsider who gets to know the fairy tale world and how it impacts "reality"), and as the linchpin of this whole mess since S2. As of S6, the audience is familiar enough with the Onceverse that it does not need a surrogate anymore (which is why Emma is proficiently integrated in whatever magical shenanigans are going on this week rather than watching and pondering and being skeptical); and the story can easily adjust around a new linchpin if necessary. Her centrality to the actual plot, on the other hand, has been waxing and waning constantly: she was the main focus for S4 and S5A but, for instance, in S3 she was just kinda there tagging along.

      Personal preferences and shipping notwithstanding, Once is fortunately enough of a "choral" show that it would allow it to continue even if it lost a core character or two. I, for one, think it would be harder for it to go on without Bobby than JMo: even if the present day storyline could do without both, Emma isn't needed for FTL flashbacks, while Rumple has been lurking and toying with pretty much everything that has happened in the past 200+ years of FTL history; how many flashback can you realistically write without needing for him to pop up at some point?

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • GothicNarcissus wrote:

      Personal preferences and shipping notwithstanding, Once is fortunately enough of a "choral" show that it would allow it to continue even if it lost a core character or two. I, for one, think it would be harder for it to go on without Bobby than JMo: even if the present day storyline could do without both, Emma isn't needed for FTL flashbacks, while Rumple has been lurking and toying with pretty much everything that has happened in the past 200+ years of FTL history; how many flashback can you realistically write without needing for him to pop up at some point?

      That's partially the writers fault as well though. They didn't have to have every character go to Rumple when they had a problem, they did it out of convenice because Bobby is main cast. If you had new characters who never interacted with Rumple, because even if they did need magical help, they went to someone else, it wouldn't be a problem. Alternativly, they can also just do the scenes around a character going to Rumple for help, you see them deciding to go to Rumple in the first flashback, and then the next you see them with whatever help Rumple gave them, leaving. We've all seen the "I can help you, dearie, for a price" play out so many times, we really don't need to see that interaction anymore.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Another point to doing without Rumple.. They showed with Fendrake, that there were others out there that were willing to help, for a price.  So while Rumple was indeed the most powerful, there were other options available.

      Also, there's nothing that would prevent A&E from seeing if Robert was available for the occasional backstory.

      However, I do agree that most of the interaction with Rumple in an EF backstory does not need Rumple actually present and could be done by reference. 

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • GothicNarcissus wrote:

      Personal preferences and shipping notwithstanding, Once is fortunately enough of a "choral" show that it would allow it to continue even if it lost a core character or two. I, for one, think it would be harder for it to go on without Bobby than JMo: even if the present day storyline could do without both, Emma isn't needed for FTL flashbacks, while Rumple has been lurking and toying with pretty much everything that has happened in the past 200+ years of FTL history; how many flashback can you realistically write without needing for him to pop up at some point?

      I completely disagree. I think the show would be much harder to do without Jennifer Morrison. In my opinion, if Robert Carlyle left, it wouldn't affect the show much at all. I don't see Rumplestiltskin nearly as important as Emma. I still see Emma as the focal point of the story and the glue that holds all the other characters together. In the past, whenever Emma has vanished, the other characters have resorted to fighting amongst themselves - "The Dark Swan" and "Wish You Were Here" come to mind. On the same thread, when Rumple disappears for a while, I barely notice he is gone.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • MBrody wrote:
      GothicNarcissus wrote:
      Personal preferences and shipping notwithstanding, Once is fortunately enough of a "choral" show that it would allow it to continue even if it lost a core character or two. I, for one, think it would be harder for it to go on without Bobby than JMo: even if the present day storyline could do without both, Emma isn't needed for FTL flashbacks, while Rumple has been lurking and toying with pretty much everything that has happened in the past 200+ years of FTL history; how many flashback can you realistically write without needing for him to pop up at some point?
      I completely disagree. I think the show would be much harder to do without Jennifer Morrison. In my opinion, if Robert Carlyle left, it wouldn't affect the show much at all. I don't see Rumplestiltskin nearly as important as Emma. I still see Emma as the focal point of the story and the glue that holds all the other characters together. In the past, whenever Emma has vanished, the other characters have resorted to fighting amongst themselves - "The Dark Swan" and "Wish You Were Here" come to mind. On the same thread, when Rumple disappears for a while, I barely notice he is gone.

      Holla.

      When you think about it, Rumple is kind of the backstory and the reason for the curse. Yeah he's in a lot of FTL flashbacks but they can work around that (plus I'm getting th vibe that Bobby wants to leave). They could always get a new villain.

      I stand by my view that Emma is the core of the show. This is her fairytale. They cannot kill her off because, as fairytales go, the story has to end with her Happily Ever After. If this was Game of Thrones or something maybe but on a family fairytale show? If Emma leaves its either spinoff or cancellation

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Aine1989 wrote:
      MBrody wrote:
      GothicNarcissus wrote:
      Personal preferences and shipping notwithstanding, Once is fortunately enough of a "choral" show that it would allow it to continue even if it lost a core character or two. I, for one, think it would be harder for it to go on without Bobby than JMo: even if the present day storyline could do without both, Emma isn't needed for FTL flashbacks, while Rumple has been lurking and toying with pretty much everything that has happened in the past 200+ years of FTL history; how many flashback can you realistically write without needing for him to pop up at some point?
      I completely disagree. I think the show would be much harder to do without Jennifer Morrison. In my opinion, if Robert Carlyle left, it wouldn't affect the show much at all. I don't see Rumplestiltskin nearly as important as Emma. I still see Emma as the focal point of the story and the glue that holds all the other characters together. In the past, whenever Emma has vanished, the other characters have resorted to fighting amongst themselves - "The Dark Swan" and "Wish You Were Here" come to mind. On the same thread, when Rumple disappears for a while, I barely notice he is gone.
      Holla.

      When you think about it, Rumple is kind of the backstory and the reason for the curse. Yeah he's in a lot of FTL flashbacks but they can work around that (plus I'm getting th vibe that Bobby wants to leave). They could always get a new villain.

      I stand by my view that Emma is the core of the show. This is her fairytale. They cannot kill her off because, as fairytales go, the story has to end with her Happily Ever After. If this was Game of Thrones or something maybe but on a family fairytale show? If Emma leaves its either spinoff or cancellation

      I agree that Emma is the core of the show. No matter how much a season may focus on a different character it always comes back around to focusing on Emma.  If Jen leaves, the show will be pretty much over. 

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • This isn't about "the story" or "what makes sense". If you look at it with a business perspective, which that's what abc and a&e do, then they'll continue on regardless of Emma. For them 7 seasons is more money than 6 seasons, so if Jennifer wants to leave and they can come up with something that abc approves, then it'll be bye Jennifer, bye Emma.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Farerb wrote:
      This isn't about "the story" or "what makes sense". If you look at it with a business perspective, which that's what abc and a&e do, then they'll continue on regardless of Emma. For them 7 seasons is more money than 6 seasons, so if Jennifer wants to leave and they can come up with something that abc approves, then it'll be bye Jennifer, bye Emma.

      Then one has to ask.... if ratings tank because the lead character leaves, is it really worth the money?

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • ChocolatEyes613 wrote:
      Farerb wrote:
      This isn't about "the story" or "what makes sense". If you look at it with a business perspective, which that's what abc and a&e do, then they'll continue on regardless of Emma. For them 7 seasons is more money than 6 seasons, so if Jennifer wants to leave and they can come up with something that abc approves, then it'll be bye Jennifer, bye Emma.
      Then one has to ask if ratings tank because the lead character leaves, is it really worth the money?


      In this case, it does. If OUAT is renewed, it is quite sure S7 is going to be the last one. So, whatever happen with the ratings, they know it'll end. So they can do what they want without fearing the ratings ^^

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • ChocolatEyes613 wrote:

      Farerb wrote:
      This isn't about "the story" or "what makes sense". If you look at it with a business perspective, which that's what abc and a&e do, then they'll continue on regardless of Emma. For them 7 seasons is more money than 6 seasons, so if Jennifer wants to leave and they can come up with something that abc approves, then it'll be bye Jennifer, bye Emma.

      Then one has to ask if ratings tank because the lead character leaves, is it really worth the money?

      Like I said, 7 seasons is more money than 6 seasons, so yeah it is worth it.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Aine1989 wrote:

      I stand by my view that Emma is the core of the show. This is her fairytale. They cannot kill her off because, as fairytales go, the story has to end with her Happily Ever After. 

      Most fairytales originally did not have happy endings. There are plenty of stories where the hero dies. 

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • You know, if the show was called "The Jennifer Morrison Show", or "Emma Swan", I would agree that you can't have the show without Jennifer. But the show is called "Once Upon a Time", and is built around an ensemble cast.  Yes, Emma's story has been central to the show up to this point, but the show is, in a way, as much about Henry as it is Emma, and if you go the route of Time Jump and have an adult Henry (portrayed by a much stronger actor than Jared), then removing Emma may be exactly what the show needs.

      I want Emma to stay, so I hope they find a way to keep her around. But, if something happens and Emma is no longer there, they can adjust.

      And I don't mean for my comment above to be disparaging to Jared, because he's done a respectible job, but Jared is not yet strong enough to actually take the lead role, he's still more of a supporting type actor. He needs to learn how to chew the scenery (the way Lana, Bobby, and Bex do).

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Hmcooper4 wrote:
      but the show is, in a way, as much about Henry as it is Emma, and if you go the route of Time Jump and have an adult Henry (portrayed by a much stronger actor than Jared), then removing Emma may be exactly what the show needs.

      Even more important, than a strong actor for an adult Henry, is the writting being strong and innovative. One of the biggest problems with OUaT is that the show feels stale, and is really starting to show its age. 

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • ChocolatEyes613 wrote:
      Aine1989 wrote:

      I stand by my view that Emma is the core of the show. This is her fairytale. They cannot kill her off because, as fairytales go, the story has to end with her Happily Ever After. 

      Most fairytales originally did not have happy endings. There are plenty of stories where the hero dies. 

      True, but this is an ABC/Disney  'family' show that promotes "Happy Endings". So giving everyone a happy ending except the main hero/the princess is pretty much the anti Disney way.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Well sure but it can't be a "everyone is happy yay" ending.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • I mean, not for everyone, the new teaser says "some" will get a happy ending, and for some it will be the final chapter (of their life?). My guess is who deserves it, will get a happy ending, who doesn't will get death as usual on the show, this time it may be Rumple.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Ok, let's take the more general discussion of the midseason promo and potential character disappearances and season finale to a different thread.  This thread is primarly to discuss the potential for the show should Jennifer leave (or be otherwise written to be gone).

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • MBrody wrote:
      GothicNarcissus wrote:
      Personal preferences and shipping notwithstanding, Once is fortunately enough of a "choral" show that it would allow it to continue even if it lost a core character or two. I, for one, think it would be harder for it to go on without Bobby than JMo: even if the present day storyline could do without both, Emma isn't needed for FTL flashbacks, while Rumple has been lurking and toying with pretty much everything that has happened in the past 200+ years of FTL history; how many flashback can you realistically write without needing for him to pop up at some point?
      I completely disagree. I think the show would be much harder to do without Jennifer Morrison. In my opinion, if Robert Carlyle left, it wouldn't affect the show much at all. I don't see Rumplestiltskin nearly as important as Emma. I still see Emma as the focal point of the story and the glue that holds all the other characters together. In the past, whenever Emma has vanished, the other characters have resorted to fighting amongst themselves - "The Dark Swan" and "Wish You Were Here" come to mind. On the same thread, when Rumple disappears for a while, I barely notice he is gone.


      That's the problem with having a double narrative – past and present: Rumple and Emma have a different value relative to the two different narrations. And these two narrations have drastically different elasticity.

      In the present, what you sau is true: Emma is the core and she balances the action, while when Rumple isn't there, that simply means fewer problems to deal with. BUT the thing with the present storyline is it can evolve. Part of the other characters' growth may include learning not to disband whenever Emma isn't around. The storyline might revolve around something else entirely: take S3B, which was entirely Regina's arc, in which Emma served two purposes – bringing Henry back to Storybrooke and kickstarting the next arc once the Wicked vs Evil was over – but other than that didn't do anything relevant. You could have omitted Emma completely and the basic storyline would have remained intact. True, while Emma does thing, Rumple is mostly a liability because he needs to be shady, otherwise he would solve the heroes' problems in no time at all, but that has really gotten tired…

      …but then you have the flashbacks. The present, you can adjust to anything you like, but the past is fixed. If the show suddenly only focussed on Rumplestiltskin-free flashbacks, that would become conspicuous after a while. True, anyone could turn to any magical pratictioner for help, but how would that fit into the arefully masterminded timeline that produced the present day events? That's a much harder thing to pull off IMO.

      Anyway, I guess we'll see.

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • Someone said Robert Carlyle's contract was already up a couple of years ago, does anyone know about this?

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • GothicNarcissus wrote:
      MBrody wrote:
      GothicNarcissus wrote:
      Personal preferences and shipping notwithstanding, Once is fortunately enough of a "choral" show that it would allow it to continue even if it lost a core character or two. I, for one, think it would be harder for it to go on without Bobby than JMo: even if the present day storyline could do without both, Emma isn't needed for FTL flashbacks, while Rumple has been lurking and toying with pretty much everything that has happened in the past 200+ years of FTL history; how many flashback can you realistically write without needing for him to pop up at some point?
      I completely disagree. I think the show would be much harder to do without Jennifer Morrison. In my opinion, if Robert Carlyle left, it wouldn't affect the show much at all. I don't see Rumplestiltskin nearly as important as Emma. I still see Emma as the focal point of the story and the glue that holds all the other characters together. In the past, whenever Emma has vanished, the other characters have resorted to fighting amongst themselves - "The Dark Swan" and "Wish You Were Here" come to mind. On the same thread, when Rumple disappears for a while, I barely notice he is gone.

      That's the problem with having a double narrative – past and present: Rumple and Emma have a different value relative to the two different narrations. And these two narrations have drastically different elasticity.

      In the present, what you sau is true: Emma is the core and she balances the action, while when Rumple isn't there, that simply means fewer problems to deal with. BUT the thing with the present storyline is it can evolve. Part of the other characters' growth may include learning not to disband whenever Emma isn't around. The storyline might revolve around something else entirely: take S3B, which was entirely Regina's arc, in which Emma served two purposes – bringing Henry back to Storybrooke and kickstarting the next arc once the Wicked vs Evil was over – but other than that didn't do anything relevant. You could have omitted Emma completely and the basic storyline would have remained intact. True, while Emma does thing, Rumple is mostly a liability because he needs to be shady, otherwise he would solve the heroes' problems in no time at all, but that has really gotten tired…

      …but then you have the flashbacks. The present, you can adjust to anything you like, but the past is fixed. If the show suddenly only focussed on Rumplestiltskin-free flashbacks, that would become conspicuous after a while. True, anyone could turn to any magical pratictioner for help, but how would that fit into the arefully masterminded timeline that produced the present day events? That's a much harder thing to pull off IMO.

      Anyway, I guess we'll see.

      I guess I see your point about the flashbacks. It might seem somewhat conspicuous if Rumple just vanished. And I have to admit I'm somewhat biased, since Emma is one of my favorite characters and I've never much liked Rumple. 

        Preparing Editor Spell
    • A Spy in the Mirror
        Preparing Editor Spell
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message