"The Garden of Forking Paths" is the third episode of Season Seven of ABC's Once Upon a Time. It was written by David H. Goodman & Brigitte Hales, and directed by Ron Underwood. It is the one hundred and thirty-sixth episode of the series overall and premiered on October 20, 2017.
When Cinderella finds herself staring danger in the eye, she receives help from an unlikely source. Her rescue leads to an alliance that could aid in the defeat of Lady Tremaine's rule and reveals a dark secret from Cinderella's past. In Hyperion Heights, Jacinda goes to extreme measures to stop Victoria Belfrey from destroying Lucy's beloved community garden, while Lucy tries to convince Henry that Victoria is after more than just a plot of land. Meanwhile, Victoria makes a discovery that could alter everyone's fate.
As described by Mekia Cox, Sabine uses a dating app where you swipe if it's a frog or if it's a prince (a reference to the Disney movie The Princess and the Frog), and goes on a date with an unnamed person.
Rogers and Sabine
Roni and Lucy
- The title card features an excavator.
- The title of this episode was revealed by Adam Horowitz via his Twitter account on July 24, 2017.
- The title of this episode is a reference to the short story of the same name by Argentine writer and poet Jorge Luis Borges.
- Ivy Belfrey's scenes were cut from the episode. However, Adelaide Kane is still credited in the episode's press release.
- The overhead shot where Lucy jumps down the hole in the Community Gardens was filmed by having Alison Fernandez jump onto a green screen patch placed on an empty flowerbed at the filming location.
- The Seattle events take place in October 2017, after "A Pirate's Life" and before "Beauty". (For more details, see the Land Without Magic timeline)
- The New Enchanted Forest flashback scenes where Cinderella meets Tiana take place between scenes in "Hyperion Heights", after Cinderella flees the ball and before Henry finds her glass slipper in the same episode. The rest of the flashback scenes take place after "A Pirate's Life" and before "Wake Up Call".
- Henry finds the Glass Slipper in "Hyperion Heights".
- Cinderella was framed for the murder of the Prince in "Hyperion Heights".
- Henry is reunited with Regina Mills and is joined by Hook in "A Pirate's Life".
- Jacinda previously lost custody to Lucy in "Hyperion Heights".
- Roni, Rogers and Henry agreed to take Victoria Belfrey down in "A Pirate's Life".
- Lucy mentions the time Henry led Archie into the Storybrooke Mines, an event which happened in "That Still Small Voice".
- Henry owning the heart of the Truest Believer was explored in "The Heart of the Truest Believer" and "Think Lovely Thoughts".
- Tiana is named after the character from The Princess and the Frog. (Tiana first appeared in "Hyperion Heights", but this is the first episode where she is named on-screen.)
- Cinderella's other stepsister is named Anastasia, just like in the Disney film Cinderella.
Fairytales and Folklore
- This episode is a rendition of the Cinderella fairytale, with Cinderella and the Wicked Stepmother. Also appearing is Captain Hook from the Peter Pan story.
- Eloise is kept prisoner in a tower, a reference to the Rapunzel fairytale, where Rapunzel is a prisoner in the witch's tower.
- The couch in Jacinda and Sabine's apartment is the same couch that was sitting in the lounge of Granny's Bed and Breakfast in the Season Two episode "Selfless, Brave and True", and the Season Three episodes "Witch Hunt" and "A Curious Thing".
- If you look at Henry's laptop while Lucy shows him her mother's petition, you can see that he was reading a web page about how to "Build Ties With Local Police".
- Jacinda's petition includes signatures from Amanda Stone, Ariane Gardner, Pamela Drake, Matthew Martin, Amy MacDonald, Kelly Allen, Tim Ramsey and James Green.
- Burnaby's Central Park doubles as the New Enchanted Forest for the opening scenes with Tiana and Cinderella in the woods.
- The resistance camp scenes were filmed on a camp set built in Vancouver's Stanley Park, at the north end of Pipeline Road.
- The scene with Rogers on the bench was filmed in New Westminster's Hyack Square. A deleted scene where Sabine is sitting next to him was filmed in the same location.
- The restaurant where Rogers confronts Michael Griffiths is a redressed version of the set for Henry's apartment. Notice how the doors, which were changed for the restaurant, are in exactly the same spots for both locations, and the wall with the cut-out by the doors is the same, as is the alcove in the wall that runs parallel to one of the doors (Henry has a bookshelf in his).
- The scene with Henry at the Hyperion Heights Cemetery was filmed at a cemetery set built by the Emmanuel Pentecostal Church in New Westminster, behind Columbia station.
- The scene outside Belfrey Towers at the end of the episode, where the construction workers deliver Anastasia's coffin to Victoria Belfrey, was filmed in the rear loading bay of the Anvil Centre in New Westminster.
|French||"Le Jardin des Chemins Croisés"||"The Garden of Crossed Paths"|
|Italian||"Il giardino dei sentieri biforcati"||"The Garden of Forking Paths"|