For the plant, see Middlemists.
During her time in Camelot, Emma is overwhelmed by seeing an apparition of the darkness, so Hook takes her horseback riding as a distraction. They ride onto the middlemist field, which, at first sight, is sparse. To help her forget about the darkness, Hook gives her a middlemist flower. Emma focuses on the flower, closing her eyes, and when she opens her eyes, she is surprised by the sight of the whole field blooming with middlemists. Relieved that she can no longer see the darkness, she happily shares a passionate kiss with Hook. ("The Broken Kingdom")
Unwilling to lose Hook to his Excalibur wound, Emma whisks him away to the middlemist field, where he attempts to convince her to let him go, rather than use Excalibur to make him immortal like her. Emma, however, cannot see past a future without him. After Hook seemingly dies of his injury, a heartbroken Emma harnesses Excalibur to tether his life to the sword, making him a Dark One. Once the enchantment is complete, Hook's body disappears to the Vault of the Dark One, while Emma undergoes a drastic physical transformation because of her use of dark magic. ("Birth")
After reuniting with a reborn Hook, Emma quickly loses his trust when he discovers she is hiding Excalibur from him. Angry she doesn't believe he is strong enough to fight the darkness, Hook teleports away. Emma returns to the middlemist field to look for him, but he is not there. She uses the last alternative, summoning him with Excalibur, to get Hook to come back. ("Broken Heart")
Wanting to know what happened six weeks ago in Camelot, Hook freezes Emma with squid ink and demands the truth from her. Instead, Zelena uses a dreamcatcher to let him see his lost memories. Within it, Hook sees himself at the middlemist field dying of a fatal wound he got from Excalibur, before Emma turns him into a Dark One to save his life. ("Broken Heart")
- The middlemist field is featured in the title card for "Nimue".
- The middlemist flower shares its name with the rose-like flower known as middlemist red. It is the rarest flower in the world, and it is believed there are only two middlemist reds left in the world; one in the Duke of Devonshire's conservatory at Chiswick, West London, and another in Waitangi, New Zealand. The middlemist flower originates from China, and was first brought overseas in 1804 by John Middlemist, from Shepherd's Bush, west London, who gave it to Kew Gardens.
- In "The Broken Kingdom" and "Birth", the scenes at the middlemist field were filmed in Burnaby's Central Park.
- For "Birth", the set was a tiny, round meadow set filled with middlemist flowers, surrounded by blue-screen material. It was CGIed into a big flowery meadow in post-production. A similar gimmick was used for "Broken Heart", where the middlemist field set was being surrounded by natural grassy ground rather than blu-screen material.
|Once Upon a Time: Season Five|
|"The Dark Swan":||"The Price":||"Siege Perilous":||"The Broken Kingdom":||"Dreamcatcher":||"The Bear and the Bow":||"Nimue":||"Birth":||"The Bear King":||"Broken Heart":||"Swan Song":|
|"Souls of the Departed":||"Labor of Love":||"Devil's Due":||"The Brothers Jones":||"Our Decay":||"Her Handsome Hero":||"Ruby Slippers":||"Sisters":||"Firebird":||"Last Rites":||"Only You":||"An Untold Story":|
|Once Upon a Time: Specials|
|"Magic is Coming":||"The Price of Magic":||"Journey to Neverland":||"Wicked is Coming":||"Storybrooke Has Frozen Over":|
|"Secrets of Storybrooke":||"Dark Swan Rises":||"Evil Reigns Once More":||"The Final Battle Begins":|
Note: "Archive" denotes archive footage.
- ↑ File:507Title.png
- ↑ http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/mar/09/middlemist-red-camellia-chiswick-house
- ↑ http://yvrshoots.com/2015/08/set-once-upon-a-times-captainswan-horse-ride-into-thatched-village-in-burnabys-central-park.html#.Vk5ThPkvfIW
- ↑ File:IGlee j buckley-508.png
- ↑ https://twitter.com/Ness202210/status/667548092749750276
- ↑ https://www.instagram.com/p/-8EVmXxLm1/