|Enchanted Forest Character|
|Portrayed by:||Quinn Lord|
|Appears in:||"True North"|
That doesn't sound good.
Hansel is a character on ABC's Once Upon a Time. He débuts, with his only appearance, in the ninth episode of the first season. He is portrayed by guest star Quinn Lord, and is the Enchanted Forest counterpart of Nicholas Zimmer.
Hansel is based on a character of the same name from the fairytale, "Hansel and Gretel".
When Hansel's father goes missing in the woods, he and his twin sister, Gretel, decide to go look for him. On the road, the siblings bump into the Evil Queen, who promises to help find their father if they assist her in entering the home of a Blind Witch and stealing a bag. Before the twins set off on this mission, the Queen also warns them against eating anything in the witch's house. Once Hansel and Gretel enter the house, they find the witch asleep inside. By accident, Hansel awakens the slumbering witch when he takes a bite of a cupcake, though Gretel quickly shoves her into the furnace. The twins leave the house unscathed and deliver the bag to the Evil Queen, who opens it to reveal an apple inside. Impressed by their bravery, the Evil Queen gives them a chance to stay with her instead of finding their father. Hansel and Gretel reject her offer; angering the Queen so much that she magically teleports them into the Infinite Forest. After doing so, the Queen brings out the children's father, the Woodcutter, who she previously kidnapped. The man takes pride in the fact his children refused to stay with her since "family always stays together". To this, she releases the Woodcutter and states that they can be together as soon as they find each other, though it is impossible since Hansel and Gretel are doomed to wander, forever lost, in the Infinite Forest. ("True North")
- Solid lines denote blood parent-child relationship
- Dashed lines denote marriage, engagement and adoption relationships, and relationships that result in offspring
- † denotes the deceased
- The name "Hansel" is of Germanic origin derived from the diminutive form of "Hans" and itself derived from "Johannes" with roots to the Hebrew name "Yochanan" that means "God is gracious".
- In the original fairytale, Hansel was older than Gretel. In the Once Upon a Time adaption, Gretel is the older twin. ("True North")
- In both the original fairytale and "True North", he was the one the Blind Witch planned to eat first.
- In the original "Pilot" script, when the war council is debating how to stop the Evil Queen's curse, the Woodcutter and his two children, Hansel and Gretel, were supposed to walk in with the enchanted tree along with the Blue Fairy.
|Once Upon a Time: Season One|
Is a Lonely
|"Fruit of the|
- Hansel appears in Henry's storybook in "True North", "Selfless, Brave and True" and "The New Neverland".