|Enchanted Forest Character|
|Portrayed by:||Quinn Lord|
|Appears in:||"True North"|
That doesn't sound good.
Hansel is a character on ABC's Once Upon a Time. He débuts, with his only appearance, in the ninth episode of the first season. He is portrayed by guest star Quinn Lord, and is the Enchanted Forest counterpart of Nicholas Zimmer.
Hansel is based on a character of the same name from the fairytale, "Hansel and Gretel".
Before the Curse
When his father goes missing in the woods, Hansel and his twin sister Gretel decide to go look for him. The siblings bump into the Evil Queen along their way. She promises to help them find their father if they assist her with something.
The Queen asks the twins to enter the home of the Blind Witch and steal a bag while the witch is asleep. When Gretel asks why she doesn't just go herself, the Queen replies that the house has a spell on it that keeps out adults; only children can enter. She also warns them not to eat anything.
The twins manage to sneak in the witch's house, but Hansel eats a cupcake, waking up the witch. It is only because of Gretel's quick thinking that they are able to get out of the Gingerbread House alive. They deliver the bag to the Evil Queen. The bag contains the apple that the Queen later uses to poison Snow White and Henry Mills. When Gretel asks her why they risked their lives for an apple, the Queen replies that it isn't just an apple, "it's a weapon".
Impressed by their bravery, the Evil Queen offers to let them stay with her instead of finding their father. Hansel and Gretel decline and tell her to find their father instead. The Queen becomes angry and magically sends them back into a forest. It is revealed that the Queen is their father's kidnapper. When the Woodcutter informs her that his children refused to stay with her because "family always stays together", the Queen tells him that they can be together if they can find each other. ("True North")
- Solid lines denote blood parent-child relationship
- Dashed lines denote marriage, engagement and adoption relationships, and relationships that result in offspring
- † denotes the deceased
- The name "Hansel" is of Germanic origin derived from the diminutive form of "Hans" and itself derived from "Johannes" with roots to the Hebrew name "Yochanan" that means "God is gracious".
- In the original fairytale, Hansel was older than Gretel. In the Once Upon a Time adaption, Gretel is the older twin. ("True North")
- In both the original fairytale and "True North", he was the one the Blind Witch planned to eat first.
- In the original "Pilot" script, when the war council is debating how to stop the Evil Queen's curse, the Woodcutter and his two children, Hansel and Gretel, were supposed to walk in with the enchanted tree along with the Blue Fairy.
|Once Upon a Time: Season One|
Is a Lonely
|"Fruit of the|
- Hansel appears in Henry's storybook in "True North", "Selfless, Brave and True" and "The New Neverland".