see Ava Zimmer.
|Enchanted Forest Character|
|Portrayed by:||Karley Scott Collins|
|Appears in:||"True North"|
You're... you're letting us go?
—Gretel to the Evil Queen
Gretel is a character on ABC's Once Upon a Time. She débuts, with her only appearance, in the ninth episode of the first season. She is portrayed by guest star Karley Scott Collins, and is the Enchanted Forest counterpart of Ava Zimmer.
Gretel is based on the character of same name from the fairytale, "Hansel and Gretel".
When Gretel's father goes missing in the woods, she and her twin brother, Hansel, decide to go look for him. On the road, the siblings bump into the Evil Queen, who promises to help find their father if they assist her in entering the home of a Blind Witch and stealing a bag. Before the twins set off on this mission, the Queen also warns them against eating anything in the witch's house. Once Hansel and Gretel enter the house, they find the witch asleep inside. By accident, Hansel awakens the slumbering witch when he takes a bite of a cupcake, though Gretel quickly shoves her into the furnace. The twins leave the house unscathed and deliver the bag to the Evil Queen, who opens it to reveal an apple inside. Impressed by their bravery, the Evil Queen gives them a chance to stay with her instead of finding their father. Hansel and Gretel reject her offer; angering the Queen so much that she magically teleports them into the Infinite Forest. After doing so, the Queen brings out the children's father, the Woodcutter, who she previously kidnapped. The man takes pride in the fact his children refused to stay with her since "family always stays together". To this, she releases the Woodcutter and states that they can be together as soon as they find each other, though it is impossible since Gretel and Hansel are doomed to wander, forever lost, in the Infinite Forest. ("True North") For events occurring after the casting of the first curse, see Ava Zimmer.
- Solid lines denote blood parent-child relationship
- Dashed lines denote marriage, engagement and adoption relationships, and relationships that result in offspring
- † denotes the deceased
- The name "Gretel" is of Latin origin derived from the diminutive form of "Grete" as well as "Margaret" and itself derived from the Greek word "margarites" that means "pearl."
- In the traditional story, "Hansel and Gretel", Gretel is younger than Hansel. In the Once Upon a Time adaption, Gretel is the older twin. ("True North")
- She carries and is able to use a sling. ("True North")
|Once Upon a Time: Season One|
Is a Lonely
|"Fruit of the|
|Once Upon a Time: Specials|
|"Magic is Coming":||"The Price of Magic":||"Journey to Neverland":||"Wicked is Coming":||"Storybrooke Has Frozen Over":||"Secrets of Storybrooke":|
Note: "Archive" denotes archive footage.
- Gretel appears in Henry's storybook in "True North", "The Stable Boy", "Selfless, Brave and True" and "The New Neverland".