"Greenbacks" is the fifth episode of Season Seven of ABC's Once Upon a Time. It was written by Christopher Hollier & Adam Karp, and directed by Geofrey Hildrew. It is the one hundred and thirty-eighth episode of the series overall, and premiered on November 3, 2017.
Tiana seeks help from a traveling soothsayer, the iconic Dr. Facilier, in an attempt to save her kingdom. But when it's revealed that he has an ulterior motive she's forced to take matters into her own hands. In Hyperion Heights, Sabine and Jacinda take on a risky business venture, but the strength of their friendship is tested when Victoria interferes with their plans. Meanwhile, Ivy recruits Henry to investigate Victoria, and Roni makes a discovery that could change her relationship with Henry forever. Rogers uncovers a crucial clue in his search for Eloise Gardener.
- The title card features a fire truck.
- The title of this episode was revealed by Adam Horowitz via his Instagram account on August 15, 2017.
- The title of this episode is a slang term for the U.S. dollar, as green is the color of U.S. paper currency. One of the synonyms of this idiom is "frogskin", as green is also the most common color of frogs.
- By extension, "greenback" is also a slang word for "frog".
- This is the first episode to credit Mekia Cox as a starring cast member. She was billed as "guest star" in all her previous appearances.
- However, in the press release for the episode, she is still credited as "guest starring".
- When Tiana spots Drizella, she says, "I didn't know we invited the nouveau riche". "Nouveau riche" is French for "new rich", and is a derogatory term used to describe those whose wealth has been acquired within their own generation, rather than by familial inheritance.
- Kevin Ryan mistakenly referred to his character as "Prince Marius" while filming the episode.
- The Seattle events take place after "Beauty" and before "Wake Up Call". (For more details, see the Land Without Magic timeline)
- The New Enchanted Forest flashbacks take place several years after "Eloise Gardener" and before "Beauty" and "Hyperion Heights".
- The Witch living at the top of Belfrey Towers was first seen in "The Garden of Forking Paths".
- Henry and Ivy previously had a drink together in "Beauty".
- Rogers first mentioned his missing person case in "A Pirate's Life".
- Rogers, Roni and Henry decided to take down Victoria Belfrey in "A Pirate's Life".
- Rogers finds the missing girl in "Eloise Gardener".
- This episode is a rendition of the Disney film The Princess and the Frog with Tiana, Eudora and Dr. Facilier. Tiana's father is also mentioned.
Fairytales and Folklore
- This episode is a rendition of "The Frog Prince" fairytale with the Princess and the Frog Prince. One of Cinderella's wicked stepsisters from the "Cinderella" fairytale also appears.
- Sabine telling Jacinda, "And with a little bit of sugar and spice and everything nice, we are going to show that bitch who is boss", is a reference to the nursery rhyme "What Are Little Boys Made Of?"
- The bell jar used for the Magical Rose during Season Five was re-used as the Firefly Ruby's bell jar in this episode.
- Sam Ochotta's tattoo and the strange symbols found in Eloise Gardener's notebook bear a striking similarity to the vegvísir, a magical stave from Nordic folklore. The vegvísir is intended to help the bearer find their way through rough weather.
- The photograph that Roni finds, which shows Regina and young Henry together in Storybrooke, is the same picture that was used for one of the photographs that Henry showed the hostess while searching for his missing family in the Season Four episode "Operation Mongoose Part 1", but with a different background.
- The angel statue in Eudora's garden previously appeared in the Storybrooke Graveyard in the Season Six premiere "The Savior".
- Ivy is wearing a Rag & Bone 'Priya' tank.
- Jacinda is wearing a J.Crew Horoscope T-shirt in "Leo" (no longer available). She wears the T-shirt again in the following episode, "Wake Up Call".
- Roni is wearing a Forever 21 CBGB Graphic Muscle Tee. She continues to wear the graphic tee in the following episode, "Wake Up Call".
- Sabine is wearing a Joie Hakima Silk Top.
- The brown doublet and white undershirt worn by Robert were previously worn by Prince Charming in several episodes, starting with the Season Three episode "The Tower". Robert's west is closely modeled on the west Charming wears over the doublet in the same episodes.
|French||"Jamais Mieux Servi que par Soi-même"||"Never Better Served Than by Oneself"|
|Italian||"Dollari e bignè"||"Dollars and Cream Puffs"|