"Fall" is the ninth episode of Season Four of ABC's Once Upon a Time. It was written by Jane Espenson, and directed by Mario Van Peebles. It is the seventy-fifth episode of the series overall, and premiered on November 30, 2014.
As the Spell of Shattered Sight approaches Storybrooke, Mary Margaret and David rally the residents to prepare for the curse while Belle and the fairies work together on an antidote. Gold, with Hook as his reluctant servant, sets about an exit strategy of his own. Regina and Robin Hood ready themselves for the worst while, with the help of a locator spell, Emma and Elsa search desperately for Anna. In Arendelle, Anna and Kristoff awaken to find that their kingdom is once again in danger.
- The title card features Gerda and her husband's shipwreck, and Gerda's message in a bottle.
- The title of this episode was announced by Adam Horowitz via his Twitter account on October 11, 2014.
- During filming of this episode, director Mario Van Peebles was nicknamed Mario Van "Pebbles".
- According to Adam Horowitz, Ingrid used all her magic powers to start the Spell of Shattered Sight, which is the reason why Arendelle defrosted after so many years.
- The scene where Hook captures the nuns was originally going to be set in the Convent of the Sisters of Saint Meissa.
- Graphic designer Neil Westlake created concept art of a map of the Storybrooke mines for the episode, but it wasn't used on-screen.
- The Storybrooke events take place after "Smash the Mirror" and before "Shattered Sight". (For more details, see the Land Without Magic timeline)
- The Arendelle events take place more than 30 years after "Smash the Mirror", and before "Heroes and Villains". (For more details, see the Arendelle timeline)
- The Enchanted Forest events take place concurrently with the events in Storybrooke, after the scene with Ariel and Prince Eric on Hangman's Island in "The Jolly Roger" and before "The Dark Swan". (For more details, see the Enchanted Forest timeline)
- The Spell of Shattered Sight was cast by Ingrid in "Smash the Mirror". It is broken in "Shattered Sight".
- The ice wall was created by Elsa in "White Out".
- The reason why Mr. Gold dislikes fairies is revealed in "The Return" and "Changelings".
- The nuns are released from the Sorcerer's Hat in "Darkness on the Edge of Town.
- Black Beard references his past encounter with Hook and Ariel. This event occurs in "The Jolly Roger".
- Hans is overthrown in "Heroes and Villains".
- The consequences of Blackbeard terrorizing Elsa's family are revealed in "Poor Unfortunate Soul".
- Elsa's quest to find her sister Anna began in "A Tale of Two Sisters".
- David's relationships with both Anna and Kristoff was explored in "White Out".
- Emma's knowledge about the dragon living in the mines was due to events in "A Land Without Magic".
- Emma mentions how her mother and father reunited once long ago thanks to a locator spell, which happened in "A Land Without Magic".
- Anna, Elsa and Kristoff return to Arendelle in "Heroes and Villains".
- This episode features Elsa, Anna, Kristoff and Hans from the movie Frozen, as well as their homeland Arendelle.
- Anna says to Hans that she sang with him; referring to their duet "Love Is an Open Door" from Frozen. Although there have been nods to Disney musical numbers previously, such as the dwarves and the "Whistle While You Work" song, this is the first time a direct reference to a Disney film's musical sequence has been made.
- There is a close-up of Mary Margaret's eye after the spell is enacted. This is a recurring theme from Lost.
Fairytales and Folklore
- This episode features the titular character from The Snow Queen fairytale, Robin Hood from the ballad, and Captain Hook from the Peter Pan story.
- Hans refers to the area where Anna and Elsa's parents drowned as Poseidon's Boneyard, a reference to the deity from Greek Mythology.
- Belle is carrying a Kate Spade New York Cedar Street Lace Small Harmony Tote handbag (no longer available).
- Regina is wearing an McQ by Alexander McQueen Black Cube Chain Belt (no longer available). She continues to wear it when the story continues in the following episode, "Shattered Sight".
- Emma is wearing a Sandro Double Layer Hem Sweater (no longer available). She also wears it in "Shattered Sight".
- Mary Margaret is wearing a Lambswool Zip Sweater from J.Crew (no longer available). She continues to wear it in "Shattered Sight".
- Belle is wearing a cropped Cropped Turtleneck Sweater in Latte by Sam Edelman, a Holly Go Lightly Plaid Skirt in Black/Ivory by Free People and a pair of Rachel Zoe Chase Haircalf Buckle Booties (all three are no longer available).
- The Storybrooke beach scene where Elsa is reunited with her sister Anna was filmed on the Third Beach in Stanley Park in Vancouver, Canada, where production for Once Upon a Time is based.
- The Third Beach also doubles as the Storybrooke beach where Emma and Neal run into Tamara in the Season Two episode "Second Star to the Right", and the Storybrooke beach where David and Mary Margaret find "Ariel" in the Season Three episode "The Jolly Roger". This beach also doubles as Hangman's Island for the scene with Ariel and Prince Eric in "The Jolly Roger".
- The same beach has been featured in The Flash episode "Tricksters" and the Battlestar Galactica episode "Torn".
|French||"L'Étoile Filante"||"The Shooting Star"|
|German||"Wenn Feen verschwinden"||"When Fairies Vanish"|
|Italian||"Il crollo"||"The Fall"|