The Enchanted Forest, also known as Misthaven, is a Fairy Tale Land realm featured on ABC's Once Upon a Time and Once Upon a Time in Wonderland. It first appears in the first episode of the first season of Once Upon a Time.
Society and Culture
- Nature and respect for it is important in the Enchanted Forest, so the Glass Coffin is carved out of a log, Snow White has flowers in her hair at her royal wedding, and Magic Wardrobe is made out of a tree trunk.
- The currency in the Enchanted Forest includes coppers, silvers, gold, shillings, pennies and doubloons. ("Hat Trick", "Think Lovely Thoughts", "White Out", "Poor Unfortunate Soul", "Heart of Gold", "The Dark Swan", "Heartless")
- Execution exists in the Enchanted Forest, as when it was found out that the Genie of Agrabah killed King Leopold, Regina, the Queen, told the Genie that he would be executed. This is further confirmed when The Evil Queen was almost executed by Snow White and Prince Charming but the execution was stopped in the last minute. ("Fruit of the Poisonous Tree", "The Cricket Game")
- There are several ways to execute someone, as in Prince Charming's case, he was almost executed by guillotine by King George, but for the Evil Queen, several soldiers shot their arrows to a blindfolded Regina. ("An Apple Red as Blood", "The Cricket Game")
- Execution seems to be used for the people who commit major crimes, like for killing a king or terrorizing people for far too long. ("Fruit of the Poisonous Tree", "The Cricket Game")
- Christianity seems to be present in the Enchanted Forest, as a cross can be seen on a shield dropped by a fallen soldier outside the dragon's cave, on Daniel's grave, and on the cover of a book in Maurice castle. Churches are also known to exist there. ("The Shepherd", "An Apple Red as Blood", "Family Business", "Mother")
- In "The Queen Is Dead", Mary Margaret celebrates her birthday, indicating that the inhabitants use the Gregorian calendar. This is confirmed in the novel Red's Untold Tale, where the Gregorian calendar is used to organize days. It is further confirmed on-screen in "Our Decay", where it is revealed that Zelena was born on April 15.
- There is education and schools in the Enchanted Forest, as Red Riding Hood went to school. ("Red's Untold Tale")
For detailed location information, please see the Enchanted Forest Locations category or the list of minor Enchanted Forest locations.
The Enchanted Forest is divided into kingdoms, much as the Land Without Magic is currently divided into countries. Known kingdoms of the Enchanted Forest are:
- Snow White and Prince Charming's kingdom (formerly ruled by King George) ("Pilot" et al., "7:15 A.M." et al., "The Cricket Game")
- The Evil Queen's kingdom (previously ruled by King Leopold and Queen Eva and now belongs to Snow White and Prince Charming) ("The Thing You Love Most" et al., "The Cricket Game", "The Queen Is Dead")
- The King's kingdom (Prince Thomas' and Cinderella's home kingdom) ("The Price of Gold", "The Other Shoe")
- Maurice's kingdom (Belle's home kingdom) ("Skin Deep" et al.)
- Aurora's kingdom (previously ruled by King Stefan and Queen Briar Rose) ("Broken" et al., "Enter the Dragon")
- Prince Phillip's kingdom ("The Outsider")
- King Xavier's kingdom (Prince Henry's and Cora's home kingdom) ("The Miller's Daughter")
- The King's kingdom (ruled by an unnamed king, Liam and Killian Jones served in his navy) ("Good Form", "The Brothers Jones")
- Maritime kingdom (Prince Eric's home kingdom) ("Ariel", "The Jolly Roger")
- Rapunzel's kingdom (ruled by her parents) ("The Tower")
- Northern Kingdom (Princess Eva's home kingdom) ("Bleeding Through")
- King Midas' kingdom (Abigail's home kingdom) ("The Shepherd", "Snow Drifts")
- Lord LeGume's kingdom (a kingdom next to Maurice's and Gaston's home kingdom) ("Her Handsome Hero")
Additionally, there are some other locations:
- Avonlea, a location close to Maurice's castle ("Skin Deep")
- The Dark Castle and its surrounding mountains (home to Rumplestiltskin) ("Skin Deep" et al.)
- The Forbidden Fortress and the Forbidden Mountain (home to Maleficent) ("The Thing You Love Most" et al., "Forget Me Not")
- The Frontlands, a location where Rumplestiltskin, Milah and Baelfire lived (ruled by a duke) ("Desperate Souls")
- Helmsville, where Prince Benjamin is from ("Regina Rising")
- Longbourn, a port town ("Desperate Souls", "Heartless")
- Port Bennet, the port town that Claire Fairchild is from ("Regina Rising")
- Pleasure Island ("Murder Most Foul")
- Bolded Names are canon location names. Such names have been given in-show by characters themselves.
- The name that appears first within a couple denotes who inherited the kingdom
- "Formerly ruled by" denotes that the previous ruler was either overthrown or removed from power by force. "Previously ruled by" denotes that the current ruler inherited the kingdom.