For the Seattle character, see Eloise Gardener.
For the criminal case, see Eloise Gardener Case.
"Eloise Gardener" is the seventh episode of Season Seven of ABC's Once Upon a Time. It was written by David H. Goodman & Brigitte Hales, and directed by Alex Kalymnios. It is the one hundred and fortieth episode of the series overall, and premiered on November 17, 2017.
This episode is the first of a two-episode airing.
In pursuit of revenge, Hook seeks a dark and powerful magic, but an encounter with Rapunzel could alter his fate forever. Meanwhile, in Hyperion Heights, Ivy's plot to take down Victoria intensifies and has unexpected consequences for Jacinda and Lucy. Rogers enlists Henry and Tilly's help in his ongoing quest to find the missing Eloise Gardener, but what he discovers isn't what meets the eye.
- The title card features the entrance of Gothel's secret garden and the garden gnome.
- The title of this episode was revealed by Adam Horowitz via his Twitter account on September 8, 2017.
- The Seattle events take place on November 17. and November 18, 2017, after "Wake Up Call" and before "Pretty in Blue". (For more details, see the Land Without Magic timeline)
- The New Enchanted Forest flashbacks take place after "One Little Tear", and several years before "Knightfall".
- The Wish Realm flashbacks take place several years after "Knightfall" and before "Wish You Were Here".
- Roni regained her memories in "Wake Up Call".
- Rogers discovered the dead body in "Wake Up Call".
- Jacinda and Sabine bought a food truck in "Greenbacks".
- Victoria gained custody over Lucy in "Hyperion Heights".
- It was revealed that Ivy had her memories and was working with the witch in "Greenbacks".
- Tilly helped Rogers with the Eloise Gardener case in "Wake Up Call".
- Tilly's love for marmalade sandwiches was previously established in "Beauty".
- Magic was previously used to speed up a pregnancy in "Birth" and "Changelings".
- What "Gothel's revenge" is explained in "Flower Child" and "Is This Henry Mills?".
- Wish Hook's daughter escapes from the tower in "The Girl in the Tower".
- "Rapunzel" arms herself with a frying pan when she first meet Wish Realm Hook, a reference to the scene where Rapunzel knocks out Flynn Rider with a frying pan in the movie Tangled.
Fairytales and Folklore
- This episode is rendition of the Rapunzel fairytale, with Rapunzel and Dame Gothel. It also features Captain Hook and Smee from the Peter Pan story, Alice from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, and the Evil Queen from the Snow White fairytale.
- Victoria Belfrey finds Ivy's shoes under the desk and later remarks, "Why is women's footwear the constant bane of my existence?", a reference to the events of the Cinderella fairytale.
- Alice's Land Without Magic counterpart Tilly sells stolen watches and remarks that "time is always slipping away" and you need a good timepiece "before it's too late", a reference to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, where the White Rabbit has a pocket watch and worries about being too late.
- Tilly likes marmalade sandwiches, a reference to the scene where Alice grabs a jar of orange marmalade from a shelf while falling down the rabbit hole.
- A statue of a griffin can be seen in Gothel's garden. A griffin is a legendary creature which has the front half of an eagle and the hind half of a lion.
- In order to reveal the golden flower, Hook sings the song "Dead Man's Chest" from Robert Louis Stevenson's novel Treasure Island.
- The lullaby which Hook sings, first to locate the mysterious flower and later to his newborn daughter (the same song his mother used to sing to him and his brother), is "She Moved Through the Fair", a traditional Irish folk song.
- When Tilly lies to Rogers about Eloise Gardener, she claims that the girl "loved Salinger", a reference to the American writer J. D. Salinger, known for the novel The Catcher in the Rye.
- When Rogers is working on the Eloise Gardener case at Roni's, a missing person document in front of him reads:
MISSING SINCE: 2007
Eloise Gardner [sic] was last seen [six blurred words]
Friends and family have not [five blurred words]
She has blue eyes, blonde hair and is [four blurred words]
to be a stable and normal girl and is [seven blurred words]
have gone missing.
the Hyperion Heights Police Department [three blurred words].
SUSPICIOUS LOOKING MAN LURKING [illegible]
2ND AVENUE. HE PROCEEDED TO APPROACH [illegible]
THIS MAN IN A PARKING LOT. LT. LANE [illegible]
TIME THE SUSPICIOUS LOOKING MAN [illegible]
PROCEEDED TO DRIVE NORTHBOUND [illegible]
VEHICLES. LT. LANE OBSERVED BOTH VEHICLES [illegible]
LT. LANE ESTIMATES THAT BOTH VEHICLES [illegible]
LIMIT IN THIS RESIDENTIAL AREA [illegible]
SPEEDING VEHICLES. I WAS AT [illegible]
BOTH VEHICLES APPROACHING 14TH [illegible]
15TH AVENUE AND PINE STREET. [illegible]
TWO PASSENGERS CAME OUT OF THE [illegible]
EARLIER. PERPETRATOR [illegible]
- The golden flower petal that Gothel left for Wish Hook is lying on the table next to him when he is holding his newborn daughter.
- The bottle candle sitting on the table in the Perp's house is a cleaned up and modified version of the bottle candle that was sitting on the table in the restaurant where Emma and Hook had their first date in the Season Four episode "The Apprentice" and on their lunch table aboard the Jolly Roger in the Season Five episode "Siege Perilous". A similar prop was seen inside the ship when Belle lived there in the Season Six episode "The Other Shoe".
- A statue of a griffin can be seen in Gothel's garden. The same statue, painted in a different color, can be seen on top of the grave that Hook, Emma and Mary Margaret are hiding behind in the Season Five episode "Her Handsome Hero", and among the gargoyles that the children are throwing bottles at on Pleasure Island in the Season Six episode "Murder Most Foul".
- Two decorative boxes that were sitting on the coffee table in Regina's living room in the Season Three episode "Bleeding Through" and the Season Six premiere "The Savior" (one of them can also be seen on a side table in the Season Six episode "Murder Most Foul") are used to decorate the living room in Gothel's tower. One is sitting on a shelf, while the other one is sitting on the bedside table. One of them is also sitting on a shelf next to young Alice's bed in "Knightfall". One of them can also be seen in adult Alice's cottage in "The Guardian".
- The Evil Queen from the Wish Realm is wearing the same coat her Enchanted Forest counterpart wore in the Season One episodes "Heart of Darkness" and "An Apple Red as Blood", the Season Two episodes "The Outsider" and "The Evil Queen," the Season Three episode "Snow Drifts" and the Season Four premiere "A Tale of Two Sisters".
- Ivy is wearing a RED Valentino Star Sweater.
- Jacinda is wearing a Maje Boyan satin bomber jacket (the exact color is no longer available).
- Roni is wearing an All Saints Sweat T-shirt in Tiger Print and an Alexander McQueen Skull and Star Print Scarf. She wears the same scarf in "Sisterhood".
- Victoria is wearing a Roland Mouret Farrant crepe dress.
- Weaver is wearing an AllSaints Survey Regular Fit Leather Blazer. He wears the same blazer in "One Little Tear", "The Eighth Witch", "Secret Garden", "A Taste of the Heights", "Sisterhood", "Breadcrumbs", "Chosen", "The Guardian", "Is This Henry Mills?", "Homecoming" and "Leaving Storybrooke".
- A darker color of the jacket was worn by David Nolan in the Season Five episodes "Broken Heart", "Swan Song", "Souls of the Departed", "Labor of Love", "Devil's Due", "The Brothers Jones", "Our Decay", "Her Handsome Hero", "Ruby Slippers" and "Sisters".
- The blazer was also worn by the character Klaus Mikaelson on The Originals episode "Heart Shaped Box".
- The scenes at the Wish Realm harbor were filmed on a green-screen set at The Bridge Studios. While many of the background props were real, the surroundings was added digitally in post-production.
- The scene with Wish Realm Hook and Smee in Gothel's garden was filmed in Lynn Canyon Park in the District of North Vancouver.
- The park scene with Henry, Rogers and Tilly was filmed in CRAB Park at Portside in Vancouver.
- The short scene where Rogers parks his car outside the abandoned building was filmed outside a decrepit building next to 1050 Glen Drive in Vancouver. The scene with Tilly, Rogers and Eloise outside the building was filmed outside an unidentified warehouse (the same or a different building).
|French||"Eloise Gardener"||"Eloise Gardener"|
|Italian||"Eloise Gardener"||"Eloise Gardener"|
|Portuguese||"Eloise Gardener"||"Eloise Gardener"|