"Chosen" is the seventeenth episode of Season Seven of ABC's Once Upon a Time. It was written by Paul Karp & Brian Ridings, and directed by Lana Parrilla. It is the one hundred and fiftieth episode of the series overall, and premiered on April 13, 2018.
Kelly comes face-to-face with the Candy Killer after someone she loves is taken hostage. Meanwhile, Samdi uses Drew to execute a deadly plan. In a flashback, Zelena learns a harsh lesson after an encounter with Hansel and Gretel goes awry.
- The title card features the Gingerbread House.
- The title of this episode was revealed by Adam Horowitz via his Twitter account on January 16, 2018.
- This is one of two Season Seven episodes to have its title contained in the lyrics sung by its centric character during the musical episode. The same applies to "A Pirate's Life".
- This episode is the directorial debut of starring cast member Lana Parrilla.
- The Blind Witch tells Hansel to mangi, which means "eat" in Italian (the word is an imperative form of the word mangiare, which is Italian for "to eat").
- Dan Payne, who plays Ivo, also played the Captain of the Guard in the Once Upon a Time in Wonderland episode "To Catch a Thief".
- Nick's apartment number is 1812, which is the year that the Brothers Grimm published the first edition of the Hansel and Gretel fairy tale.
- According to Lana Parrilla, she wanted the Gingerbread House to have a "horror-decay, nicotine coated, caked corners and cotton candy cobwebs" look.
- The Seattle events take place after "Breadcrumbs" and before "The Guardian". (For more details, see the Land Without Magic timeline)
- The Oz flashbacks take place at an unspecified time after "Where Bluebirds Fly". (For more details, see the Oz timeline)
- Kelly knows that she is next on the Candy Killer hit list, something she discovered in "Breadcrumbs".
- Henry was kidnapped by Nick in "Breadcrumbs".
- Nick was revealed to be the Candy Killer in "Sisterhood".
- Nick talks about his past identity as Hansel, which was revealed in "Breadcrumbs".
- Nick talks about the death of his sister Gretel, who was murdered by Drizella in "Sisterhood".
- Weaver mentions Zelena surviving his attempt to kill her with magic, an event seen in "Kansas" and "Heart of Gold".
- Roni has found the necessary moss ingredient for a spell to cure Henry, which she started searching for in "Breadcrumbs".
- Henry told Jacinda, Rogers and Weaver that he was going to a job interview in New York in "Breadcrumbs".
- The Crimson Crow, the tavern that Jack took Henry to on the latter's nineteenth birthday, is the same tavern where Tiana met Robert in "Greenbacks".
- Rogers mentions how he and Nick visited Flynn's Barcade, which took place in "Sisterhood".
- Drew is seen working at Rollin' Bayou, a result of Sabine hiring him in "A Taste of the Heights". She also mentions Tilly working there. Tilly started working for Sabine in "Breadcrumbs".
- Kelly mentions that she killed a Munchkin, a reference to how she killed Boq in "Our Decay".
- Kelly mentions how Margot has made "a cute blond" friend, referring to Margot's story with Tilly in "The Girl in the Tower" and "Breadcrumbs".
- Margot says things with Tilly are "still really early", however, she eventually asks Tilly out in "The Guardian".
- Roni says to Kelly, "Go on, you monkey. You get on that bike and fly.", mirroring Kelly's training instructions from "The Eighth Witch", where she said, "All right, my cycling monkeys. Grab onto your bikes and fly!".
- When Zelena wakes up in Ivo's cabin, there is a close-up of her eyes, a recurring theme on Lost.
Fairytales and Folklore
- This episode is a rendition of the Hansel and Gretel fairytale with Hansel, Gretel, the Woodcutter, and the Witch. This episode also features the Wicked Witch of the West from The Wonderful Wizard of Oz story.
- Roni says to Kelly, "Go on, you monkey. You get on that bike and fly.", a reference to the flying monkeys from The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.
- When Zelena confronts the Witch for the second time in the episode, she mentions Candy Crush. This appears to be a play on words by the writers in reference to the Facebook game Candy Crush, in addition to the phrase being used by Zelena in the episode as a literal emphasis on the Witch's penchant for baking sweets and using candy-based magic.
- The box where Kelly keeps her necklace is the same box where Mr. Gold kept the wraith amulet in the Season Two premiere "Broken".
- The gingerbread house pictured on Jacinda's gingerbread kit looks remarkably similar to Blind Witch's house.
- The exterior of the Gingerbread House was a real set built in Vancouver and not CGI.
- The outdoor scene with Rogers and Jacinda was filmed at Burnaby's Swangard Stadium.
- Stanley Park in Vancouver doubles as the area where Sabine and Drew are selling beignets.
- The scenes at Ivo's cottage were filmed on a television set at The Bridge Studios.
- Burnaby's Central Park doubles as the woods of Oz for the short scene where Zelena is headed back toward the Gingerbread House after meeting Ivo.
|French||"Mauvaise Carte"||"Bad Card"|
|Italian||"Gli errori del passato"||"Mistakes of the Past"|
|Portuguese||"A Escolhida"||"The Chosen One"|