- St GEORGE'S
- SOUTHWARK LONDON
- PRIMUM NON
I hereby consent to the special procedure outlined to me by
Dr. Arthur Lydgate. Under the Lunacy Act and County
Asylums Act of 1845, I understand that Dr. Arthur Lydgate has the
authority to detain me until such a time that I exhibit recuperative
progress as to be indicative of a cessation of the symptoms of mania,
lunacy, idiocy and other unsoundness of mind or moral turpitude.
Dr. Arthur Lydgate will submit an assessment to the
Commission and the Home Secretary's Office. It is under their
ultimate authority that I will determine my eventual release. The
Lunacy Commission will restrict my access to the courts of law, so that
I may not challenge the legality of my sequestration or care.
By signing below, I hereby indicate that I understand the
legal stipulations outlined in the above.
- Signed [Alice's signature]
Dr. Arthur Lydgate, M.D.
- Signed day of the month
- The Land Without Magic version of the Bethlem Royal Hospital was also located at St George's Fields (indeed a former area in Southwark, London), in the 19th century.
- Primum non nocere is a Latin phrase that, ironically, means "first, do no harm". It is one of the principal precepts of bioethics that all healthcare students are taught in school and is a fundamental principle throughout the world.
- The Lunacy Act 1845 and the 1845 County Asylums Act formed the mental health law in the real version of England and Wales from 1845 to 1890.
- When Dr. Lydgate is preparing for Alice's surgery, one of the things seen on the table is a big syringe. When Jafar is drawing blood from Edwin in Wonderland, he uses the same syringe, indicating that Jafar took it when he visited the asylum. ("Down the Rabbit Hole", "Who's Alice", "Bad Blood")
- The label on Dr. Lydgate's bottle says:
451/2 [sic] GRAINS OPIUM AND 65% ALCOHOL
3 months old 3 drops
One year old 4 drops
Four years old 5 drops
Ten years old 14 drops
Twenty years old 25 drops
Adults 30 drops
|Once Upon a Time in Wonderland|
|"Down the Rabbit Hole":||"Trust Me":||"Forget Me Not":||"The Serpent":||"Heart of Stone":||"Who's Alice":||"Bad Blood":|
|"Home":||"Nothing to Fear":||"Dirty Little Secrets":||"Heart of the Matter":||"To Catch a Thief":||"And They Lived...":|