"A Pirate's Life" is the second episode of Season Seven of ABC's Once Upon a Time. It was written by Jane Espenson & Jerome Schwartz, and directed by Tara Nicole Weyr. It is the one hundredth and thirty-fifth episode of the series overall, and premiered on October 13, 2017.
When Henry finds himself in trouble, he calls upon his Storybrooke family for help, and together they set off on a mission to find Cinderella. Along the way, Hook is confronted by an unexpected foe who threatens the group’s success. In Hyperion Heights, Jacinda searches for a way to see Lucy with some unwelcome assistance from Henry, while Victoria Belfrey enlists the help of Gold and Weaver to push Henry out of the neighborhood.
Special Guest Starring
- The title card features a swan.
- The title of this episode was revealed by Adam Horowitz via his Instagram account on July 10, 2017.
- This episode could be named after:
- The expression "A Pirate's Life" has already been used on the show:
- When Hook welcomes Baelfire aboard the Jolly Roger, he tells him: "It's a pirate's life for you". ("And Straight On 'Til Morning")
- When Hook is reunited with Emma in New York, he says, "I had a life to get back to. A pirate's life." ("New York City Serenade")
- When Hook prepares to take back his ship from Black Beard, he says, "Women come and go, Mr. Smee, but a pirate's life... it's forever". ("The Jolly Roger")
- When Hook sings "Revenge Is Gonna Be Mine" to Snow White and Prince Charming, one of his lyrics is "A pirate's life is one to love". ("The Song in Your Heart")
- The press release for the episode mistakenly says "Victoria Belfrey enlists the help of Gold and Weaver". However, it is not possible as Weaver is Mr. Gold's cursed persona, so they can't both exist in Seattle at the same time.
- It was supposed to say "Victoria Belfrey enlists the help of Rogers and Weaver" as confirmed by the episode.
- During the filming of this episode, Robert Carlyle decided to change the accent of Weaver to make him more different from Mr. Gold. After that, he had to re-record all of Weaver's scenes from "Hyperion Heights" via automated dialogue replacement.
- Lucy's ballet scenes were filmed on Alison Fernandez's birthday. The cast and crew celebrated her birthday on set.
- The Seattle events take place on June 9, 2018, the day after "Hyperion Heights". (For more details, see the Land Without Magic timeline)
- The Storybrooke flashbacks takes place a few years after "The Final Battle Part 2" and before "Hyperion Heights".
- The New Enchanted Forest flashbacks take place after "Hyperion Heights" and around a decade before "The Final Battle Part 1".
- Henry left Storybrooke in "Hyperion Heights".
- Lady Tremaine framed Cinderella for the Prince's murder in "Hyperion Heights".
- Cinderella left Henry the glass slipper in "Hyperion Heights".
- Henry helped Victoria to find Jacinda and Lucy in "Hyperion Heights".
- Rogers was promoted to Detective and became Weaver's partner in "Hyperion Heights".
- Emma met the Hook from the Wish Realm in "Tougher Than the Rest".
- Archie began officiating wedding ceremonies in "There's No Place Like Home" with the wedding of Belle and Mr. Gold and also officiated the wedding of Emma and Hook in "The Song in Your Heart".
- Flowers started growing again in the Community Garden in "Hyperion Heights".
Fairytales and Folklore
- This episode features Cinderella, the Evil Stepmother, and one of the Wicked Stepsisters from the Cinderella fairytale, along with Captain Hook from the Peter Pan story.
- Weaver finds the Nancy Drew book The Secret of the Golden Pavilion in Henry's apartment.
- A Thin Dark Line by Tami Hoag, Seawitch by Alistair MacLean, Samaritan by Richard Price, The Other Side of Love by Jacqueline Briskin, a book by Jill Dawson and a book about the Boer War are sitting on Henry's bookshelf.
- The flowers in Victoria Belfrey's office are hyacinths, the same as Cinderella's lucky flower from "Hyperion Heights".
- A mushroom ornament sitting on Henry's shelf is the same prop that was sitting on the shelf in Archie's office in previous seasons.
- The tree decorations at Lucy's ballet studio are a reference to her homeworld, the New Enchanted Forest.
- Ivy is wearing a Miu Miu printed shirt.
- Jacinda is wearing a Maje 'Bianca' jacket.
- Regina is wearing a Kooples plaid jacket (no longer available).
- Victoria is wearing a Rag & Bone 'Eliza' dress.
- Burnaby's Central Park doubles as the New Enchanted Forest for the scene where Henry is being pursued by Lady Tremaine's men and the scenes with Emma, Hook, Regina, Henry and Wish Realm Hook outside the cottage in the woods. Other scenes were filmed in Vancouver's Stanley Park, at the north end of Pipeline Road.
- The Victorian Hotel in Vancouver doubles as the exterior of Henry's apartment building.
- The scenes at Lucy's ballet studio were filmed at the premises of the Vancouver Rowing Club in Vancouver's Stanley Park.
- The street scene with Rogers and Weaver at the end of the episode was filmed on Columbia Street in New Westminster.